Indian Institutes of Technology (popularly known as IITs) are institutions of national importance established through an Act of Parliament for fostering excellence in education. IIT Delhi conducts various programs including the prestigious bachelor's degree in Technology and the Dual Degree Bachelor-cum-Master of Technology program. At postgraduate level, it offers programs like Master of Technology, Master of Science, Master of Business Administration etc. It also offers a Ph.D. program for cutting edge research in basics sciences such as biological sciences, chemical sciences, physical sciences as well as interdisciplinary research including but not limited to nanoscience and nanotechnology, biomedical sciences and bioengineering etc. Over the years IITs have created world class educational platforms dynamically sustained through internationally- recognized research based on excellent infrastructural facilities.Internationally, IIT Delhi was ranked no. 212, the first amongst Indian educational institutions, in the QS World University Rankings of 2012. In India, amongst engineering colleges, it ranked second by India Today and first by Outlook India in 2012.
Department of Biochemical Engineering and Biotechnology, IIT Delhi
Department of Biochemical Engineering & Biotechnology (DBEB) at IIT Delhi has a unique place in the development of biochemical engineering discipline in India. The Institute took an early note of the significant role that was to be played by biochemical engineers and biotechnologists in future industrial development of biotechnology related processes and products by initiating this activity in 1968, the first in an IIT. At present the Department provides a model for an integrated approach towards education as well as research and development of various bioprocesses. Briefly, the department carries out the following activities:
- Imparting research-based teaching for training of the students and developing expertise in biochemical engineering and biotechnology at the postgraduate and Ph.D. levels.
- Research and development of various microbial and enzyme systems, and developing understanding of biological / biochemical phenomena underlying such systems.
- Engineering analysis and optimal design of various biological systems and processes.
- Transfer of knowledge through seminars, symposia and short-term refresher courses at national and international levels.
- Industrial consultancy to solve the specific problems of bioprocess industries.